Community Resources

Table of Contents

Starting and Growing a Neighborhood Watch

The City is actively engaged in the process of forming a neighborhood watch program. For additional information, please contact Councilmember Anna Velazquez at or
Councilmember Carla Stewart at or call (831) 223-5014.

Dial 2-1-1Text your zip code to 898-211 | Visit

Don’t let your money go down the drain! This tax season you may qualify for a bonus of up to $6,000! If you made less than $54,000 in 2017, United Way’s VITA Volunteers will provide FREE Tax Prep so that you can keep your FULL refund and claim ALL eligible credits. Or do it yourself with our Free Software (earnings limit $66K).

There are no hidden costs! You earned it; we’ll help you keep it! Please help spread the word!


Emergency Phone Numbers

Agency NamePhone NumberOther Information

Adult Protective Services / Department of Social Services

Service provided in all languages.

Monterey County Health Department-Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP)


Missing, Abused and Exploited Children. Child Quest International


California Missing Children Hotline


Suicide Crisis Team (Mental Health Crisis Line)


Monterey County Rape Crisis Line (24hr Hotline)


Police Dispatch


For King City, Greenfield and Soledad Police and Sheriff Department

Monterey County Health Department-Behavioral Health Programs in Soledad


Call the toll free number
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday

355 Gabilan Drive, Soledad, CA 93960

Behavioral Health programs link County residents who have mental health and addictive disorders to a continuum of behavioral health interventions such as inpatient hospitalization, crisis interventions, recovery programs, prevention services, supportive housing, wellness centers, and outpatient services. The Access to Treatment Team is the entry point to receiving mental health services from the Behavioral Health Bureau in any of their four offices in Salinas, Marina, Soledad, and King City. Talk with a Behavioral Health team member that will provide a brief screening and then connect you to appropriate community resources or schedule an appointment for a mental health assessment with one of their therapists.

Special Programs

Agency NamePhone NumberOther Information

Monterey Salinas Transit (MST) / Dial-a-Ride

Toll free: 866-663-3278

Monterey Salinas Transit (MST) offers a wide variety of services to meet the diverse needs of the communities they serve throughout Monterey County. In addition to offering fixed transit routes, MST offers special services for senior citizens, veterans, and persons who need assistance in accessing public transit. The MST RealTime app allows users to receive up-to-the-minute information on bus arrivals and departures. Please visit the links below for more information on these programs.    

Traffic School Program


Liberty Chapel Community Church
274 Kidder Street
Soledad, CA 93960

Usually every third Saturday
7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Call to confirm

When you get stopped for a traffic violation, you may be informed that you qualify to attend traffic school online or in person. In most situations, if you go to traffic school, you can avoid stiff fines and increased insurance rates, and keep your record clean.  Liberty Chapel Community Church offers a monthly in-person traffic school program.

Weatherization Services

HEAP applicants may be eligible for weatherization services. Energy efficiency-improving measures are done in the home to reduce energy costs. This program is available to renters as well as homeowners. Owners of rental property are not charged when these services are provided for their tenants.

Assistance for Paying Energy Bills

The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) provides payment assistance with home energy bills. The one time per calendar year payment varies depending on income, household size, and funding. Households facing shutoff (customer has received 15-day or 48-hour notice) may receive immediate help at emergency service sites centrally located in San Mateo, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties. Applicants should call our 1-888-728-3637 toll-free number for current locations and hours.

California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) is a discount rate program offered by PG&E which gives eligible low-income households a 20% discount on their energy bill.

Central Coast Energy Services (CCES)


PO BOX 2707 Watsonville, CA 95077

Programs for Senior Citizens

Senior Housing

Agency NamePhone NumberOther Information

CHISPA (Affordable Housing)

 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

English / Spanish services provide Operates several senior housing complexes in the county.
295 Main Street, Suite 100
Salinas CA 93901 (Main Office)

Housing Authority Monterey County (Affordable Housing)

 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. 

English / Spanish services provided. Operates several senior housing complexes in the county.

23 Rico Street
Salinas, CA 93907

Legal Services/Assistance Programs for Senior Citizens

Agency NamePhone NumberOther Information

Ombudsman for Long Term Care / Alliance on Aging

24-hour Crisis Line

Reports of suspected abuse in licensed care facilities
831-655-1334 (Monterey)
831-758-4011 (Salinas)

In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)

IHSS is a non-medical home care program serving low-income seniors, adults, and children with disabilities. The program pays for the services of a home care provider. Services include assistance with light housekeeping, cooking, laundry, medical transportation, and personal care such as dressing, bathing, and grooming. Eligibility is based upon income and resource levels.

24 Hour Adult Protective Services (APS)

Reports of abuse and neglect can be reported to:

If you are calling from outside the 831 area code, please call
831-755-4466 or 831-883-7565.

After hours call 9-1-1 to make a report

Adult Protective Services are mandated by Federal and State law to investigate and respond to all allegations of suspected elder and dependent adult abuse, which includes physical, financial, emotional, self-neglect, and neglect by others.

A dependent adult is any person age 18 to 64 who due to a mental or physical disability is dependent upon another person for their care. An elder is a person 65 years of age and older.

Senior Information, Referral & Assistance (I,R&A)


Aging and Adult Services is often the initial point of contact for people seeking information about senior services. The I,R&A program specializes in information related to the needs of seniors and people with disabilities. The services of I,R&A are open to the general public.

To speak with a social worker call

For more information go to:

Monterey County Department of Social Services / Aging and Adult Services

Salinas: 831-755-4466
King City: 831-385-7400
Marina: 831-883-7565
TTY/TTD Phone #: 831-784-2131

The Aging and Adult Services Branch provides health and social work services to seniors and people with disabilities. Their mission is to empower and serve the aging population and persons living with disabilities to live safely in their homes and with dignity. The goal of Aging and Adult Services is to delay or prevent inappropriate institutionalization of seniors and people with disabilities. This goal is achieved through the delivery and coordination of home and community-based services.

Legal Services for Seniors-Soledad Outreach

831-442-7700 or 831-899-0492

Tuesdays 1:00 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.
Monterey County Free Library
401 Gabilan Drive
Soledad, California 93960

Legal Services for Seniors provides legal services at no charge to Monterey County seniors 60 years of age and older with an emphasis on the socially and/or economically needy.  Our practice areas include Financial Elder Abuse, Social Security, Medicare, Medi-Cal, landlord/tenant disputes, advance healthcare directives, wills, consumer and debt collection problems, probate-guardianships, and more.

If you are a Monterey County resident, at least sixty (60) years old, we can help. Give us a call to make an appointment at one of our offices in Salinas or Seaside or one of our many outreach sites throughout the County.  Walk-ins are welcome, but to ensure your time with an advocate, please call our office to set up an appointment. Individuals seeking legal assistance must speak with us directly, be at least sixty years (60) old, and live in Monterey County.

Alliance on Aging

General Assistance: 831-655-1334

247 Main Street
Salinas, CA 93901

The Alliance on Aging was established in 1970 by a group of concerned local citizens who wanted to help seniors remain safely in their own homes for as long as possible. This volunteer-driven organization which began as a single program with a handful of volunteers is now a multi-purpose senior service agency with over 200 volunteers. The largest non-profit provider of senior services in Monterey County, the Alliance on Aging serves over 7,000 individuals every year.

Alliance on Aging programs includes Medicare Counseling & Education (HICAP), Senior Peer Counseling, Nursing Home Information & Advocacy, Tax Counseling for the Elderly, Benefits Checkup and a monthly Senior Outreach Luncheon in Salinas. Alliance on Aging staff and volunteers provide direct services, information and education to seniors, adult children, caregivers and “baby boomers” who are approaching and preparing for their senior years.

Food Assistance Programs

Food Stamp Program (CALFRESH)

Agency NamePhone NumberOther Information

Monterey County Department Social and Employment Services


116 Broadway Street
King City, CA 93930

Monterey County Food Bank-Soledad Programs

Phone: 831-758-1523

Programs Distribution Location:
Our Lady of Solitude Church
235 Main Street, Soledad, CA 93960

Family Markets Program

2nd Friday
10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.

The Family Market Program, which runs from April through October, provides fresh produce to meet the food security and health needs of Soledad residents. It operates like a farmer’s market, but without charge. Families self-select produce items they like and need.  Each market serves between 200-400 people; each household receives approximately 50-100 pounds of food.

Emergency Food Assistance Program

Second Tuesday of the month
10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.

The Emergency Food Assistance Program (EFAP) operates year-round and provides produce along with dry and canned food staples.

Saint Vincent de Paul Food Pantry


9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

The food bank also supports the Saint Vincent de Paul Food Pantry, which is housed and operated by Our Lady of Solitude Church and supplies emergency food assistance to residents who find their food supplies running low during the month.

Salvation Army-Soledad Programs

Phone: 831-678-9952

179 Main Street, Soledad, CA 93960

Hours of Operation: 
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

The Salvation Army of Soledad offers food weekly security assistance to all residents of South Monterey County.  They offer assistance in applying for low-income energy bill assistance programs such as HEAP and REACH.  At times, they have grant funding available to provide residents with emergency assistance in paying utility bills.  Based on grant funding, they may have additional assistance programs available for items such as clothing or winter coats for children.  The Salvation Army also sponsors and operates summer camp programs for youth.

Services for Children & Families

Agency NamePhone NumberOther Information

Central Coast YMCA, Soledad


Central Coast YMCA provides a variety of sports activities, a homework center, summer programs and camps, and after-school tutoring. Sports activities include youth soccer, basketball, flag football, karate, gymnasium, and climbing wall.

560 Walker Drive
Soledad, CA 93960

Disabilities Education & Support/Special Education

Agency NamePhone NumberOther Information

Soledad Unified School District


Programs provide services for children with special needs from birth to twenty-one years.  Includes occupational therapy, speech and language evaluation, psychological – educative, and adaptive physical education as well as specialized transportation. Services for all disabilities are provided.  Spanish speakers are available.

Child Protective Services (CPS)

During non-business hours, dial 911 and ask to speak to the on-call social worker. Health care provider, teachers, and others are mandated to report suspected child abuse.

Child Abuse Reporting Hotline

800-606-6618 or 831-755-4661

1000 South Main St., Suite 122
Salinas, CA 93901
831-755-4475 or 831755-4661 or 831-784-2131

Pathways to Safety

For more info call: 831-783-1244

Families with children AT RISK of abuse and neglect who don’t meet criteria for child protective services may be followed in this community-based prevention program. Family resource specialists offer to families and link to community resources. Pathways to Safety is not open to direct referrals.  If you are concerned about a family, start by calling the CPS hotline.

Archer Child Abuse Advocacy Center / Bates Eldredge Clinic


A child advocacy center designed to provide forensic interviews of child sexual abuse victims for law enforcement and Deptartment of Social Services. Forensic medical-legal examinations of abused children are conducted at the Bates-Eldrege clinic by appointment only.

1441 Constitution Blvd., Building 2000
Salinas, CA 93906

Child Development and Support Services

Agency NamePhone NumberOther Information

Gabilan Migrant Head Start


330 N. Walker
Soledad, CA 93960

M.A.O.F. Acosta Early Learning Center


461 Cesar Chavez Street
Soledad, CA 93960

Main Street Preschool


441 Main Street, Room 7
Soledad, CA 93960

San Vicente Preschool


1300 Metz Road, Room 7
Soledad, CA 93960

Soledad Migrant Head Start


160 Main Street
Soledad, CA 93960

Windy Acres for Preschoolers

831- 678-0328

237 Soledad Street
Soledad, CA 93960

Alcohol and Drugs

Agency NamePhone NumberOther Information

Sun Street Centers


An array of drug abuse prevention activities, in English and Spanish, for teens in the community, including drug education, counseling, 12-step programs, driving under the influence program and community outreach.

Monday – Friday
8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
2167 H. De La Rosa Sr. Street
Soledad, CA 93960

Valley Health Associates


Drug abuse treatment program includes education, individual and group counseling, drug screening and attendance at 12-step meetings. Services in Spanish. Methadone treatment in Salinas office only.  Reimbursement through self-payment, Medi-Cal, and other public funds.

Tuesday to Thursday
11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
495 El Camino Real Suite K, Greenfield, CA 93927

Narcotics Anonymous (NA) Meetings


Liberty Chapel Community Church
274 Kidder Street
Soledad, CA 93960

Tuesdays 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.

NA is a nonprofit fellowship or society of men and women for whom drugs had become a major problem. We are recovering addicts who meet regularly to help each other stay clean. This is a program of complete abstinence from all drugs. There is only one requirement for membership, the desire to stop using. We suggest that you keep an open mind and give yourself a break. Our program is a set of principles written so simply that we can follow them in our daily lives. The most important thing about them is that they work.

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) Meetings


Liberty Chapel Community Church
274 Kidder Street
Soledad, CA 93960

Tuesdays 7:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Saturdays 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.

Alcoholics Anonymous is an international fellowship of men and women who have had a drinking problem. It is nonprofessional, self-supporting, multiracial, apolitical, and available almost everywhere. There are no age or education requirements. Membership is open to anyone who wants to do something about his or her drinking problem.

Adoption and Foster Care Services

Agency NamePhone NumberOther Information

Family and Children’s Services

Monterey County Department of Social and Employment Services

Family Ties, operated by Kinship Center


In partnership with the Department of Social and Employment Services, assists relatives who are caring for children who are related to them, including support groups, legal assistance, parent education, counseling, advocacy, and recreational activities.
237 9th Street
Greenfield, CA 93927

Adult Education

Agency NamePhone NumberOther Information

Adult Literacy Program in Soledad


Monterey County Free Libraries offers one-on-one tutoring to adults over 16 years of age, not presently enrolled in a public school system. The program is free, individualized and confidential to all English speakers in Monterey County, offering both daytime and evening instructions. The program is looking for both adult learners and volunteer tutors. Services available while tutors are available. There is a waitlist. A high-school diploma is required to become a tutor.

401 Gabilan Drive
Soledad, CA, 93960

Soledad Unified School District Community Education Center


Adult Schools offer courses in English as a Second Language, GED, high school completion, parenting education and vocational skills training. Fees charges for courses, ESL classes may be offered morning, afternoons and evenings and at various locations.
690 Main Street
Soledad, CA 93960

Health Care Services

Agency NamePhone NumberOther Information

Clinica de Salud del Valle de Salinas: Medical, Dental & Family Planning

831-678-0881 or 831-678-0883

Full-time or part-time doctors and dentists at the clinics provide medical and dental care for adults and children, including comprehensive prenatal health services for pregnant women, sexually transmitted disease (STD) checkups, pap smears, Family PACT reproductive health services, and CHDP/Gateway children’s preventive health care. Services for low-income families on a sliding fee scale. Medicare, Medic-Cal, and Healthy Families insurance accepted.

799 Front Street, Soledad, CA 93960 
Medical Services: Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Every 4th Saturday of the Month: 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Dental Services: Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

Health Insurance and Access to Health Care Programs / Covered California

TTY: 1-888-889-4500

MC Application Assistance (MC Choice)


This program assists families to apply for Medi-Cal programs, such as Cal Fresh, Cash Aid, and Medi-Cal.  For a monthly calendar of sites in South Monterey County visit the website as it changes every month.

MEDI-CAL / Monterey County Department of Social and Employment Services

Phone: 831-385-7400
Fax: 831-385-7450
Toll-free line: 866-323-1953

Individuals can apply for Medi-Cal Benefits at any of the sites. Federal, state and county guidelines determine eligibility and assistance levels for each program. Clients are seen on a first come, first served basis. No appointments made. You may call for a mail-in application.

116 Broadway Street
King City, CA 93930

Housing Assistance

Agency NamePhone NumberOther Information

Housing Authority Monterey County (Affordable Housing)


English / Spanish services provided. Operates several senior housing complexes in the county.

Monday-Friday: 8 :00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. 
123 Rico Street
Salinas, CA 93907

CHISPA / Affordable Housing, Senior Housing & Farmworker Housing


English / Spanish services provided
Operates several senior housing complexes in the county
Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
295 Main Street, Suite 100
Salinas CA 93901 (Main Office)

Immigration Services

Agency NamePhone NumberOther Information

Catholic Charities Diocese of Monterey Citizenship & Immigration Services

831-422-0602, ext. 8007

Services: Provide help and guidance for those who struggle in retaining lawful permanent residence status and those who wish to become citizens. On the first Thursday of every month, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m., director Jorge Sifuentes travels to the Holy Trinity Church in Greenfield CA, for consultations. Forms must be filed in the Salinas office.
1705 Second Ave.
Salinas, CA 93905

Soledad Unified School District Community Education


Services: Offers classes through their ESL program to provide students with information of the United States citizenship exam.
690 Main Street
Soledad, CA 93960