Temporary, Grant Funded
(Assigned to Community and Economic Development Department)
SALARY: $20.72 – $24.71/hour
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled. First screening: Week of April 19, 2021
Under general supervision, provides a wide variety of technical, classified and confidential office administrative and secretarial support to administration, management, professional, and supervisory staff in an assigned department; performs technical, classified and confidential support work related to the department; creates, implements, and participates in technical processes, procedures and programs; and performs related work as required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from assigned administrative, supervisory or management personnel. No direct supervision of staff is exercised.
Incumbents perform a variety of specialized and confidential administrative, secretarial, and clerical work for various City departments, including coordinating assigned projects, providing general information to the public, and other administrative, budgetary, database, and support work. Responsibilities require the ability to perform the full range of administrative and clerical office support work for an assigned department. This class is distinguished from the Administrative Secretary in that the latter is a higher-level administrative support class, performs more technical complex and basic programmatic activities, and demonstrates advanced technical knowledge and skills.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Illustrative Only)
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls; provides factual information to City staff, other organizations, and the public regarding City functions, policies, rules, procedures, and ordinances; distributes materials and information to customers.
- Performs a variety of secretarial/clerical work including preparing and word processing correspondence, forms, and reports from drafts, notes, brief instructions, or corrected copy; proofreads materials for accuracy, completeness, compliance with departmental policies, correct formatting, and correct English usage, including grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Receives, opens, date stamps, and disburses incoming mail; prepares outgoing mail for posting; prepares special mailings and ensures that all attachments are included and are mailed in a timely manner.
- Operates standard office equipment, including job-related computer hardware and software applications, facsimile equipment, and multi-line telephones; may operate a two-way radio or other department-specific equipment.
- Sets up and maintains general office files and maintains a variety of logs and records.
- Prepares and updates a variety of periodic and special narrative, database, and statistical reports.
- Maintains an inventory of supplies, forms, and materials for City departments; surveys vendors and assists with the establishment of ongoing purchase orders; verifies deliveries and distributes supplies to various departments.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of training and experience which would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Experience and Education:
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) grade, and three (3) years of varied administrative support experience preferably involving some public contact.
License and Certification:
Valid California class C driver’s license with satisfactory driving record may be required.
If you have any questions, please call me at (831) 223-5013.