Starting a Business In Soledad

Checklist for Success

  • Develop a business plan
  • Consult with necessary professionals
  • Decide on a legal structure
  • Select a business name
  • File a fictitious business name statement
  • Obtain a business license
  • Check the zoning laws and other land use ordinances
  • Obtain necessary permits and licenses from the city, county, and state
  • Apply for a state employer ID number
  • Apply for a federal identification number
  • Develop a financial plan
  • Develop a marketing plan

Contact Information for Starting Business in Soledad

City of Soledad, Business License Office
248 Main Street
Soledad CA 93960
Ph: (831) 223-5000

Board of Equalization
111 E. Navajo Drive, Suite 100
Salinas CA 93906-2452
Ph: (831) 443-3003
Fax: (831) 443-3131

California Department of Consumer Affairs
Consumer Information Division
1625 North Market Blvd
Sacramento CA 95834
Ph: (800) 952-5210

Employment Development Department
Employment Tax Office
Post Office Box 2068
Rancho Cordova CA 95741-2068
Ph: (888) 745-5886

Monterey County Health Department
1270 Natividad Road
Salinas CA 93906
Ph: (831) 755-4500

State of California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
1137 Westridge Parkway
Salinas CA93907
Ph: (831) 755-1990

Cal Coastal SBDC @ Salinas City Center


Contact City Hall and make sure your new business is allowed in proposed location zoning district.

Every business must meet zoning requirements to insure that its business category and site are compatible. Before signing any leases or moving in, check with the Planning Division.

248 Main St., Soledad, CA 93960
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 156, Soledad, CA 93960
Phone: (831) 223-5043
(831) 678-3965
Hours: Monday – Thursday. By appointment only.


File a fictitious name statement and file your "doing business as" (DBA) name in a local newspaper.

Prior to filling a fictitious name statement, it is recommended that you call the Monterey County Clerk's Office to certain your business name is not already in use.

County of Monterey Recorder-County Clerk
Monterey County Government Center Administration Building 

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 156, Soledad, CA 93960
Phone: (831) 755-5041


Contact the State of California to file proper State Tax Forms and obtain labor standard for employees. Obtain a State Board of Equalization resale permit, if required.

  • If your business will have employees other than yourself, contact the Employment Development Department for information on state withholding taxes, disability and unemployment insurance.
  • State Board of Equalization for "selling or acquiring any tangible items for repair or use in their business."
  • For businesses employing only the owners, contact the Franchise Tax Board for state withholding and corporation state taxes.
  • Contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for your employer identification number. The IRS will also provide a "business person's kit," seminars for new businesses, additional information and required forms.


  1. If you have followed the first step, you should be able to supply the City with the following information for a business license:
    • Fictitious name and any County or State permits.
    • State resale permit number for the State Board of Equalization, if required.
  2. Depending on the type of business you plan to conduct, you may be required to have:
    • Health Permit
    • Fire Inspection
    • Zoning Inspection - Click here to request property zoning information.
    • Alcoholic Beverage Permit
    • Contractor's License
    • All necessary Building Permits
  3. When filing for a license, you will need the following to complete the application process:
    • Your business name, address, and telephone number
    • Description of your business
    • The number of employees on staff
    • The property owner's name and the telephone number of the person to contact in case of an emergency
    • A check. The City's business license clerk will calculate the permit cost based on the type of business and the number of employees.
    • The name, address, and telephone numbers of any contractors who will be involved in the operation of your business
    • Your social security number
    • Your State Employee I.D. Number
    • Your Federal I.D. number
    • Your Drivers License Number
    • Your Federal I.D. number
    • Your State Employee I.D. Number